This is the closest recipe I can find to the potato salads you buy in the deli at the grocery store (which I love and would buy all the time if I wasn’t a total cheap skate). It is completely horrible for you and absolutely delicious.
2 lbs potatoes
½ cup sweet or red onion
1/3 cup sweet relish
1 ¼ cups heavy mayonnaise (do not use miracle whip, I kick a puppy every time someone uses miracle whip)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar (regular vinegar works too, it just gives it some tartness)
2 teaspoons yellow or Dijon mustard
1 ½ teaspoon salt
Hard boiled eggs
- Wash potatoes, (peel if you want, I don’t) cut into cubes.
- Boil for 15-20 minutes, until just soft.
- In the meantime, combine the rest of the ingredients, except the eggs, and set aside.
- Drain potatoes and let cool slightly.
- Mix the mayonnaise mixture in with the potatoes. Add chopped boiled eggs.
- Serve cold.
- Makes about 8 servings
Original recipe is here. I changed it because I don’t like bacon contaminating my potato salad.